[Update] - WordPress 5.4.1 Released
WordPress 5.4.1 is a security and maintenance release and features 17 bug fixes in addition to 7 security fixes. Because this is a security release, it is recommended that you update your sites immediately. All versions since WordPress 3.7 have also been updated.
For IONOS Managed WordPress customers we will install this WordPress update as soon as possible.
WordPress 5.4.1 is a short-cycle security and maintenance release. The next major release will be version 5.5.
Some more details:
- Accessibility: Fix the headings hierarchy on the Freedoms page
- Customize: Give the WordPress logo a white background for dark mode browsers
- Mail: Make the check for empty post title in wp-mail.php more resilient
- Media: Fixes selecting files in Microdoft Edge <= 44 and iOS Safari
- Privacy: Make the deprecated “wp_get_user_request_data function” available on front end
- REST API: Fix revisions controller get_item permission check
- REST API: Fix filtering of registered rest fields
- Site Health: Instantiation prevents use of some hooks by plugins
- Taxonomy: Un-deprecate category_link and tag_link filters
- Block Editor updates
[Update] - WordPress 5.4 Released
WordPress 5.4 is scheduled to be released on March 31, 2020. It will be the first major release of the year and will ship with some significant improvements. There are also some important changes for developers.
There will also be improvements in the area of "privacy": On the one hand, exports now also include session tokens and the "Community Events Location" of the users, but on the other hand, the exports themselves have also been extended. For example, the export ZIP file now includes a JSON file for better portability. Furthermore the included HTML export was extended by a table of contents.
This relase contains several new features that are mainly focused around block editor improvements,including new features and extending the existing blocks.
WordPress 5.4 add also a new Site’s health widget to the admin dashboard and also more flexibility to manage favicons with uploading them via customizer.
Over 198 bugs, 121 enhancements and feature requests, and 8 blessed tasks have been marked as fixed in WordPress 5.4
The Gutenberg Block Editor improvements:
- editor opens in fullscreen mode by default
- editor keyboard shortcuts
- new welcome guide modal
- social icons block
- butons block
- more color options for blocks
- drag & drop to upload featured image
- change text color inside paragraph block
- easily select gallery image size
- TikTok (videos) embed block
Changes for developers
- improved calendar widget markup
- apply_shortcode() instead of do_shortcode()
- improved error messages in wp_login-failed
- the newblog_noify_siteadmin filter has a new site id parameter regarding of multisite installs
- support for required PHP and WordPress vesion headers in themes
- wp-env: Simple Local Environments for WordPress
- Personal Data Export now includes Session Tokens, Community Events Location and Custom User Meta.
- Personal Data Exports now include a JSON file and a Table of Contents
- New filters for the headers of all Privacy-related emails
- The privacy tables are improved for a cleaner interface
- wp_get_user_request_data() function was replaced with wp_get_user_request() for better clarity
Please find more informations on the WordPress 5.4 Field Guide:
[Update] - WordPress 5.3 Released
WordPress 5.3 brings some interesting new features and changes to help you get more out of your WordPress site.
- The block editor gets a new block "group" to organize content more easily.
- New design options for blocks in the block editor which allow you to customize your layouts even more to your individual needs.
- Improvements in the accessibility of the backend.
- The new 2020 theme.
With this update, WordPress has made some decisive improvements. Look forward to the best WordPress ever!
Help WordPress get even better! Join the annual user and developer survey by clicking on the following link: https://wordpressdotorg.survey.fm/wordpress-2019-survey-english.
[Update Oct 17, 2019] - WordPress 5.2.4 security update released
WordPress 5.2.4 is now available! This security update fixes 6 security issues.
Our IONOS Managed WordPress customers will receive the new version automatically.
[Update Sept 11, 2019] - WordPress 5.2.3 Released
The current version of WordPress 5.2.3 has been released. In this version, bugs have been fixed and improvements have been made. Therefore, we recommend all customers who manage their WordPress installation themselves to install the new version: WordPress-Release 5.2.3
As always, our ##COMPANY_NAME### Managed WordPress customers will receive the new version automatically.
[Update June 18, 2019] - WordPress 5.2.2 released
On June 18, 2019, a new version of WordPress 5.2.2 was released. Since this version mainly fixes errors, we recommend all customers who manage their WordPress installation themselves install the new version: WordPress-Release 5.2.2
Our IONOS Managed WordPress customers will receive the new version automatically as usual.
[Update May 22, 2019] - WordPress 5.2.1 released
On 21.05.2019 the current version of WordPress 5.2.1 was released. In this version 32 bugs were fixed, some of them classified as important and critical. Further improvements have been made to the editor and accessibility.
Details about the fixed bugs can be found in the official WordPress blog.
Our IONOS Managed WordPress customers will receive the new version automatically as usual. Customers who manage their WordPress installation themselves can now install the new version themselves: WordPress-Release 5.2.1
[Update May 07, 2019] - WordPress 5.2 released
On 7th of May 2019 the current version of WordPress 5.2 was released. Besides many small improvements "below the surface", these are the most important changes:
- The new function, which shows the state of the website, has been further improved.
- Plugins are no longer updated when the website is running on a PHP version that is not supported.
- It is now clearly visible when a website is in restore mode
- The button for distraction-free writing now has no influence on the keyboard navigation in the classic editor.
- Assistive technologies enable better identification of submenus in the admin bar
- Subject lines in WordPress emails are now consistent
- Exports of personal data are not marked as completed until the user has downloaded his data.
- Further improvements in accessibility have been made
As always, our IONOSManaged WordPresscustomers receive the new version automatically. Customers who manage their WordPress installation themselves can now install the new version themselves: WordPress Release 5.2
[Update March 13, 2019] - WordPress 5.1.1 released
The current version 5.1.1 mainly deals with the changes introduced in 5.1. and also contains some changes that will help operators prepare their users for the minimum PHP release spurt coming in 5.2. It also contains bugfixes and bug fixes.
You can view the complete list of changes here .
Our IONOS Managed WordPressCustomers receive the new version automatically. Customers who manage their WordPress installation themselves can now install the new version themselves: WordPress release 5.1.1