When choosing storage, it's the ratio of effective costs per IOPS that counts
What sets IONOS cloud SSD Storage apart:
- Significantly lower prices for bandwidth and IOPS than the competition
- Storage volume performance increases linearly with size
- 100% guaranteed performance for Premium SSD
- Fixed price per GB of storage
- No hidden costs for IOPS
- High-performance storage for every computing instance
What are IONOS cloud SSD performance classes?
SSD storage modules are becoming cheaper in the enterprise sector. At the same time, more and more applications in the cloud require fast responses at a reasonable price, low energy costs and high access reliability even in random mode.
That's why IONOS cloud is introducing SSD Standard in addition to SSD Premium as an alternative to HDD storage.
|HDD||SSD Standard||SSD Premium|
|Volume size||1 GB – 4 TB||1 GB – 4 TB||1 GB – 4 TB|
|No. of volumes per VM||Up to 24||Up to 24||Up to 4|
|Bandwidth in MB/s per GB||–||0.5 MB/s||1 MB/s|
|Max bandwidth in MB/s per instance|
(static per instance)
|300 MB/s||600 MB/s|
|Max read IOPS per instance|
(static per instance)
|Max write IOPS per instance|
(static per instance)
|Performance guarantee||shared||shared||100% guaranteed per instance|
|Price per GB/30 days||£0.04||£0.09||£0.19|
SSD vs HDD
What makes IONOS cloud SSD Standard a good alternative to HDD?
- SSD offers higher performance for workloads with smaller block sizes e.g. between 4 and 32 KB.
- SSD is nearly always faster than HDD in the same server conditions.
- Typical workload profile with smaller block sizes include: applications that continuously access databases; fast data analysis processing; financial transactions, low-latency reactions for IoT and autonomous systems; CRM uses; inventory control and point of sale systems.
- These applications usually only require smaller storage volumes.
SSD Performance Classes
- Highly competitive pricing
- Performance values well above HDD storage
- Very similar prices to HDD
- Unbeatable price per IOPS
- Sufficient IOPS and throughput for many applications
- A real alternative to HDD and tape storage
Based on customer feedback IONOS continuously adapts its offering for enhanced day-to-day use in cloud operations. Rapid and reliable storage responsiveness is a must, because the requirements posed by our customers' applications are constantly shifting.
IONOS cloud SSD Premium offers you:
- Pricing of £0.19 per GB per month
- Storage volumes up to 4 TB for extensive storage needs
- Up to 4 volumes per virtual data centre
- Maximum throughput of 600 MB/s per storage instance
- Substantial 45,000 IOPS (read) and/or 30,000 IOPS (write) per virtual instance for exceptional response time performance
- Performance guaranteed per virtual instance – and all without an added cost per IOPS
Ultimately, the deciding factor is the cost-effectiveness of IOPS. IONOS cloud advantages:
- Affordability: over 50% cheaper than the nearest competitor
- Performance that increases linearly with storage volume size
- Guaranteed performance with IONOS cloud SSD Premium
- Fixed price per GB of storage space
- No hidden additional costs for IOPS
- No need to purchase separate computing instances to take full advantage of the storage capacity
For just 2.25 times the price of HDD, SSD Standard gives you up to 12 times more IOPS and greater bandwidth.
Multi-threading is also supported and modern SSD memory modules in the enterprise environment are more robust. Furthermore, the resulting cost savings from lower depreciation on the part of the cloud provider mean that SSD will stay affordable well into the future. Processing costs in e-commerce or in brick and mortar retailing, for example, can be significantly reduced by using SSD storage.
Last but not least, using SSD storage actively helps to reduce the ecological footprint of cloud computing by contributing to lower CO² emissions.
Take the backup and recovery environment, for example, and consider the 3-2-1 rule for a moment.
- IONOS cloud SSD storage enables immediate disaster recovery of particularly business-critical systems and can also be integrated by backup experts like Veeam. Uninterrupted business continuity is increasingly becoming a differentiating factor for commercial cloud users – even beyond NAS on-premise and storage arrays, where substantial investment is necessary.
- Recovery of business-critical (core) applications becomes viable for companies without a local or regional redundant data centre.
- Recovery processes that utilise flash memory are much shorter than via magnetic tape.
- Again, the price/performance ratio for the storage is also a key deciding factor.