If you are an existing customer, this article will show you how to transfer your domain from another provider/registrar to 1&1 IONOS.
If you are not yet a 1&1 IONOS customer, during the domain transfer process you will have the opportunity to create a 1&1 IONOS account and select your preferred package. For more information, please continue reading here: Transferring a Domain to 1&1 IONOS as a New Customer
The domain transfer consists of two steps:
- The first step is to prepare your domain for the domain transfer with your old provider and access the authorisation code.
- The second step is to start the domain transfer with 1&1 IONOS and confirm the transfer with the authorisation code from step 1.
Preparing the Domain Transfer
Depending on the domain extension (.com, .org, etc.), different requirements must be met before you can access the authorisation code and transfer your domain to 1&1 IONOS.
Starting the Domain Transfer with 1&1 IONOS
Log in to 1&1 IONOS and start the domain transfer in 1&1 IONOS.
- Open the Domains page.
- Click Add Domain at the top right.
- Click Transfer Domain to 1&1 IONOS.
- Select the contract to which you wish to transfer your domain.
For example, the destination may be a contract that contains a certain product or an available, cost-free included domain slot. This helps you better coordinate your domains to keep better track of them and to take advantage of beneficial pricing in the other contract.
You will be redirected to the 1&1 IONOS Shop where you can complete the domain transfer.
Completing the Domain Transfer in the 1&1 IONOS Shop
In the 1&1 IONOS Shop, enter your domain and then complete the domain transfer.
- Enter your domain in the text box and click Transfer.
- In the Authorisation section, enter the authorisation code for your domain that you obtained from your old provider.
You can adjust the DNS settings for your domain in the Select your name server settings section:
- My DNS settings will automatically be switched to 1&1 IONOS name servers
If you want to use your domain with 1&1 IONOS products and services and the domain is not yet connected to a service, application or website.
- I want to keep my current DNS settings...
If you want to continue using your domain with an existing service, application or website without interruption. Of course you can edit the DNS settings at any time.
- Check the box next to Yes, I'm authorised to initiate the transfer of registrar.
- Click Move Domain.
On the next page you can check your order and your customer details.
- Check your order, scroll to the bottom and click Next.
- Check your customer details and click Continue to Checkout.
You will now receive a summary of your purchase.
- Read the Terms and Conditions (including the cancellation instructions) and check the box next to I have read the General Terms & Conditions...
- Click Order Now.
Your domain is now transferred to the selected contract. We will email all information relating to your domain transfer.