In 2014, the .UK registry introduced .uk as a shorter, sharper domain name to sit alongside existing options such as .co.uk and org.uk.
When the .uk domain extension was launched, the rights were reserved for owners of existing UK domains (.co.uk, .org.uk etc.) to claim their equivalent .uk domain until 25 June 2019. This meant, for example, if you were the owner of "yourcompany.co.uk" then "yourcompany.uk' was reserved for you until 25 June 2019. This was called the "UK Rights of Registration" period.
1&1 IONOS extended the term of protection for all of its customers
If you are an IONOS customer and could not register your reserved .uk domains in time, there’s no need to worry:
- To protect your Rights of Registration for additional time, we have registered all corresponding .uk domain names on your behalf that you have not yet secured yourself.
- You can transfer your reserved .uk domains to your IONOS contract if you choose to do so. This will be free to you for the first year. If you are not interested, then no further action is required. The domains will become available for general registration by the beginning of September 2020.
We will send you an email soon to let you know how you can transfer your .uk domains to your IONOS contract.
In urgent cases, please contact our customer service for transferring your domains.
- If you do not transfer and register your reserved .uk domains before 31 May 2020, the reservation will be cancelled, and the domain will be able to be registered by anyone starting around 4 September 2020.
- For the 90 days after the reservation is cancelled, you can still order the domain using a domain transfer. You can transfer the domain directly into your account, or you can contact Customer Service to help you. Domains acquired by this method will only be charged the regular price for a year of registration.
- The automatic domain renewal is set by default. You can deactivate this option at any time if you do not wish to renew your registration for a fee.
- Whether or not you choose to register the .uk version has no effect on your current UK domain, which will remain yours for as long as you choose to maintain your registration.