If the options of Managed WordPress are not sufficient for you, you can change your website to the standard WordPress. In this article, we'll show you how to do it.
All contents and settings are retained when switching.
Once you switch to standard, you cannot return to using Managed WordPress.
Managed WordPress offers you more convenience because it takes care of all updates and plugins. You have less time to spend on administration and can be sure that you only use plugins that are optimally adapted to your WordPress website.
Switching to the standard WordPress gives you more freedom because you decide yourself which updates and external plugins you want to use. You can also make changes to the underlying code. However, this also allows you to accidentally install plugins that do not work with your WordPress installation. Also, an update can override installed plug-ins and features.
Steps to switch to Standard Mode:
- Log in to IONOS.
- Click on the Website & Shops tile.
- In the following overview, click Manage Website under the tile of your website.
- On the following page, in the Change the installation type of your website section, click Switch to Standard.
- In the window that pops up, click on the Switch to Standard Mode button to switch to Standard WordPress. You will then have to enter details for the Standard WordPress installation.
- Enter a name for the application overview in the installation settings and select an existing domain or subdomain. Alternatively, you can also create a new subdomain. In the application settings, enter a user name (administrator), a secure password, an email address, a name for the website and select a language. Once you have filled in all the fields, click Continue.
- Since the change requires a move of the application data stored in our system database to your contract, we need some more information from you to create the database required for this. The easiest way to do this is to create a new database. Enter a description (this will be displayed later as information in the database overview) and choose a secure password. If you want to use an existing database instead, select the option Existing Database.
The table prefix cannot be changed and is for your information only. The functionality of your website is not affected by it.
- Click Continue.
- Specify the directory where the required files are to be stored. The system already proposes a directory. Then click on Continue again.
- Before we make the change, you will receive a summary of your settings. Check them and select Switch to Standard.
- You can now see the current status on the progress bar. As soon as you see a smiley face there, the change is complete. In the tile for your web project you should now see the addition "Standard".
You can find your FTP connection data in the Hosting section of your IONOS account.