Not just a domain name
24/7 customer support
Send your business soaring for £1
- 1 domain included
- 1 email account with 2 GB
- Wildcard SSL Certificate
- Spam filter
- 1 domain included
- 5 email accounts
- Wildcard SSL Certificate
- Website builder
- Business widgets
Domains at the best prices
Prices excl. VAT may be subject to change dependent upon your country of residence. Terms and conditions apply.
Build, protect and grow your brand
Build your brand
Boost your online presence
A provider you can trust
Transfer your domain to 1&1 IONOS
Get a new domain extension
Join the .dev-olution today
Increase trust with SSL
Why is SSL important?
What is a wildcard?
Domain names – FAQ
Decide early on if you want to have a brand domain or a keyword domain. Brand domains make a clear link between your business and your website, whereas keyword domains may get better search engine results.
Creating a successful website
Content management systems (CMS) such as WordPress offer a good platform for blogs – 1&1 IONOS offers a WordPress CMS package, which includes a free domain for the first few months.
You can also consider a one-page website package or a website builder. 1&1 IONOS can help you set up both of these.
- The one-page website allows web beginners to gain experience online. One-page packagesare user-friendly with a huge variety of pre-set layouts to choose from. You can link your business to Google's My Business via your website.
- The second option is a website builder package, which is more sophisticated. This package is suitable for those who want a project with at least two subpages and more design control.
Blogging tips for beginners
Get more domain tips
Try out our one-page website package
Forwarding a domain to a different domain
Domain name alternatives to .co.uk
Related Questions for this topic / FAQ
What makes premium domains valuable?
How can I create the design for my logo?
What are the rights of registration?
- Choose the domain name you want for your website. You can register more than one.
- Check whether your domain name is available using our domain checker tool. This will tell you if the domain contains invalid characters, or if it's already claimed.
- If your preferred domain name is taken, you'll be given alternatives.
- Add your chosen domain/s to your basket. There may be several different package options to choose from depending on your needs.
- Check your order for details such as the domain's expiration date, and how many domains you're registering.
- Create your customer account if you don't already have one.
- Select your payment method and purchase your domain/s.
ccTLDs are top-level domains that represent a nation — the 'cc' stands for country code. Some of these domain extensions can require a presence in the relevant country. A .co.uk or .uk domain are examples of ccTLDs. Some of the country code extensions are classified as generic ccTLDs by Google – gccTLDs. This is because the domain is not always used to represent a specific country. For instance .cc (commercial company) and .io (can be interpreted as input/output) domain are generic country code top-level domains.
gTLD is short for generic top-level domain. The classic .com, .org, .net are generic domain extensions.
nTLDs are new top-level domains. Each year, up to 1,000 nTLDs are released. Include extensions such as .london, .rugby and .tech.
Please note: certain domain extensions have eligibility requirements, for example the extension .gov is restricted to use by government entities. 1&1 IONOS does not offer these domain extensions.
Country domains: a comprehensive ccTLD list
gTLDs: what you should know about generic top-level domains
Target geographical areas or language groups
For example, if your website is in English and Spanish, a subdomain may be used to indicate that this section of your website will be in Spanish, and not English – instead of just domainname.com, es.domainname.com is used.
If your website offers a variety of different services or products, you can create a subdomain for each one, for example: smartphone.domainname.com, or blog.domainname.com.
Having a separate subdomain for logins or account pages on your website is a useful way of organising your site; for your clients and for yourself.
By using a subdomain, you'll be able to track the success of your website more accurately, as you'll see how different sections are performing.
Like 1&1 IONOS, most hosting providers automatically assign DNS records upon domain name registration. In some cases, you may wish to keep your registered domain with one company, but have your website's files and email accounts stored on a different hosting server.
This is called a DNS transfer, and can be arranged within a couple of days. You may wish to alter your DNS records if your domain registration was completed with an expensive hosting company. In this case, you can keep your registered domain but switch to a more affordable hosting provider such as 1&1 IONOS.
No matter which hosting company you choose, you'll always maintain full control ofthe domain name that you have in the registry's database. That means you can also initiate a domain transfer to 1&1 IONOS at any time — even if you purchased your domain elsewhere.
We'd be happy to help you choose the right product or provide support for existing customers.